Skip to Content



The banquet of the SISPAD Conference will be held in “Palazzo de’ Rossi”, a late-gothic castle built at the end of the 15th century by Bartolomeo de’ Rossi. The castle was built on two levels allowing one area to be bathed in light and the other more shaded and cool. The small distance from the river Reno ensured a plentiful water supply for both the castle and the village that grew up nearby. The castle and the village were self sufficient and enjoyed everything they needed: plentiful harvest, fisheries, mills, stables, barns, fruit trees and sawmills. The inhabitants worked the land and did everything possible to ensure its upkeep. Their houses were small shops that still today surround the piazza overlooked by the castle and the Colombia tower.
With its richly colored flag stoned floors, the sail shaped vaults and gracious courtyard it is impossible not to be impressed by this castle that is such a part of the surrounding nature. We are transported far away into the past by the magical atmosphere of the place evoked by the courtyards, airy lodges, and large windows overlooking the countryside and landscape gardens.
The late-gothic building was finished by Bartolomeo’s sons Nestore and Mino in 1500 and has since hosted many famous guests: Giovanni II Bentivoglio and his family were often guests of the castle, and Pontiff Giulio II and his court were received with great ceremony during the Winter of 1506-1507. Others popes visited the castle: Leone X in the Winter of 1515-1516, and Paolo III Farnese, the Pontiff who convened the Council of Trento, was Count Ludovico de’ Rossi’s guest in 1543. Ludovico de’ Rossi is remembered for the great care and attention he paid in restructuring the ruined parts of the castle damaged in 1527 by the attack of the famous Lanzichenecchi, who even here raided and killed.
Ludovico’s son, the well-educated Gian Galeazzo, was a great friend benefactor to Torquato Tasso, who happened to be his guest in 1586. At the end of the 17th century, Camillo Turrini de’ Rossi knocked down the antique tower that was positioned by the Castle. In addition, he transformed the gardens that were full of roses, lemon and orange trees and reshaped them according to the style of the classical Italian Gardens.
From then on the Fortified Castle became the Palazzo de’ Rossi, which passed down through the generations to this day.

More information and pictures of Palazzo de' Rossi can be found at the site address: